Design Principles - Project 1: Self Portrait


Project 1 - Self Portrait 

Vanessa Kei Kurniadi

Bachelor of Design in Creative Media





Content

1. Recap
2. Design Process
2.1 Visual References
2.2 Idea explorations
2.3 Final outcome
2.4 Feedback given by Lecturer
2.5 Reflection



1. Recap


Recap on Self Portrait


Self portrait is a representation in the form of drawing/painting/sculpture/design. It is a visual depiction of the self. It represents the designer/artist - in other words, how they see themselves, what they're feeling, and how they want to be seen by others. It doesn't necessarily have to be a realistic image of ourselves, rather, it is often an exercise in self-exploration.

Week 3
The Project of Self-Portrait started during the Chinese New Year, thus that week we did not have any class. But Mr Charles provided us with some lecture videos, a short guide video, and the MIB for us to work on our project.

Week 4

In the fourth week, we had a meeting, and we had the chance to discuss our project. Mr Charles helped us understand what a Self Portrait is and how we can express ourselves well in our art. He explained how it can be done and gave us some examples to help us understand it better. Afterwards, we can show the progress of our project and Mr Charles can give us his feedback on it.


2. My Design Process

2.1 Visual Reference

Jungkook fanart - Pinterest




2.2 Idea Explorations

    When I saw the title "Self Portrait" I was immediately thinking of a realistic art, which is pretty much not my area of expertise. I tried searching for many references but most of them are not my style nor my liking.
    Then I remembered that I've seen a lot of BTS art so I also tried looking into them for reference. I realised that you can make the eyes slightly bigger and it will still looks like the real person.


So firstly I tried looking for a photo of me that might be best at picturing me and my personality, and this is the photo I choose to use.


Then I try to draw myself as accurately as the real me as I could. It was pretty challenging because I was really used to the 2D art style and not the realistic type of shading. But after hours of editing here and there I finally got a result that is pretty close.



Afterwards for the details I started to put things that I often use in my daily life.
My ROG laptop and headset shows that I like to play games. A drawing tablet and the pen in my right-hand shows that I am also like to draw, and they are the things I use every time I draw. I also use a pair of glasses so that is also added.
Last but not least there is a small photo of my family on my shirt. I wanted to show that even though I don't really show it, my family are very dear to me and they have a special place in my heart.



Lastly, I gave a background to make it look filled, neat, yet balanced. I put some kind of framed pictures on my back. But they are not just simple photos. They are things I've seen, watched, or read before. I filled the "wall" behind me with several webtoon banners that I've read and some movies and animes that I've watched. At the bottom right there is a covered Sage fanart, which is an agent from Valorant. This also shows that Valorant is the game I usually play and Sage is my favorite/most used agent.



2.3 Final Design


The drawing was to be simple yet neat and properly filled. The audience can see me as the main focus of the drawing. The colors of the white shirt helps it to stand out, while it doesn't really stand out too much from everything else. A lot of details are also put in the picture. It helps make the drawing look not too simple but doesn't overpower each other.
The drawing tablet and laptop are placed in the foreground and the wall and picture helps to make it more "3 dimensional" and not just a flat image. The different color of the wall and the floor are made different to give you the sense of the room size.

The drawing is made to look full yet not to compacted. The framed "pictures" filled the wall in the background but was set in a lower opacity to make sure they don't steal the spotlight of the main object, and just to be sure, a dark reddish brown color is also used as a shading to help the eye to focus on the center of the image. A soft shading is also used at the main object to make it not stand out too much from everything else, while still keeping it as the main focus for the viewer's eye.


2.4 Feedback Given by Lecturer

Good! A true portrait of a millennial! You will need to break it down to explain the principles in your composition.

- Mr Charles Sharma Naidu Achu Naidu-



2.5 Reflection

This project once again challenged me to step out of my comfort zone and helped me to dive into different art styles. It helped me to push my limits and test my capability of making nice drawings from different compositions. It also helped me to see myself and to try to show people how I see myself to be. This project is gonna help me a lot when I do similar projects in the future, and maybe serve as a base for me to try new things in future drawings.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made in:
February 3rd 2023

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Typography - Task 3: Type Exploration and Application

Video and Sound Production - Exercises & Project 1

Information Design - Exercises