Illustration and Visual Narrative - Project 1: Exercises

07/04/2023 - 12/05/2023 / Week 1 - Week 6
Vanessa Kei K (0360525)
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1: Exercises



LECTURES

WEEK 1
The first week was a chance for us to get familiar with each other and introduce ourselves. Mr Hafiz gave us an introduction to this module, the assignments, and Exercise 1: Vormator Character. We were then introduced to Adobe Illustrator and the workspace and tools we will be using. 

The main tool we used this week was the Pen Tool. To become familiar with this tool, we played a game called The Bezier Game. Mr Hafiz taught us how to trace out the Vormator Shapes using the pen tool. We were tasked to trace out all the Vormator Shapes before the next class.

I had some basics in Adobe Photoshop, so I thought I would be able to master it easily. But it turned out the pen tool in Adobe Illustrator is different. In Photoshop you pressed alt and click on the "angle line", while in Illustrator you hold alt and drag the angle line to the reset location to disable the line redirection.


Fig 1.1 The Bézier Game



WEEK 2
Ms. Anis gave us a lecture on character design. She told us that the making of a character should pay attention to these 3 things:
  • Iconic: Can immediately recognize their silhouettes. 
  • Simplicity: Easy to understand the purpose of the character
  • Unique: No other character looks like it.
Mr Hafiz then taught us how to use the pen tool, shape builder tool, and pathfinder to build the Vormator shapes using a different method. 


Fig 1.2 Week 2 Exercises



WEEK 3
No Class (Public Holiday)



WEEK 4
In the first part of this week’s lessons, Ms Anis briefed us about the MyTIGER competition and Exercise 2 (Illustrated Typography). She told us on how to work on the project and how to do our content research. 

In the second half, Mr Hafiz demonstrated how to use the Pencil tool in Adobe Illustrator. The pencil tool is a quick way to draw out any shapes. 

The pencil tool is similar to the Brush tool. You can make a free form strokes, with smoothing options of 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%. The good thing about the pencil tool is after you make the stroke, you can still make changes to it by making a line on top of the previous line.


Fig 1.3 Pencil tool




WEEK 5
On week 5, we were instructed to follow video tutorials on creating 3D effects for sushi and rainbow. Mr Hafiz also gave us a chance to try out the intertwine feature, but due to Adobe Illustrator being the older version one in the computer I used, it wasn't available so I didn't try it. However, I did make this:

Fig 1.4 3D Feature on Adobe Illustrator



EXERCISE 1 - VORMATOR CHARACTER

In this exercise, we are instructed to design and create one unique character by using the given sets of shapes with Adobe Illustrator

Here are the rules for this exercise:
- Can rotate, flip, duplicate, and scale shapes proportionally
- Not obliged to use all the shapes
- No skewing or free transform
- No altering the original shapes
- Can add, subtract, intersect, and group elements as you see fit
- Unlimited colour use
- Can use gradients and texture
- No background

I am not really good at making weird creatures, so I always avoid thinking about it, so this task is a bit hard for me. But I remember a sketch I made of my first character long ago. It was a small green creature with a pair of horns with ball-like tips. So here's what I made:

Fig 2.1 My Character Design


FINAL LOOK
Fig 2.2 My Character Design Final Look



EXERCISE 2 - ILLUSTRATED TYPE

For the second exercise, we are instructed to design and create two illustrated typography using the words generated from a Pictionary Generator. 

The challenges are:
- The illustrations and words complement each other
- The design makes sense
- Use non-decorative fonts as the base of the design

The word I got from the dictionary is "Cookie, Bounce".

Sketching
The words cookie and bounce could be put together or separately, but putting them together would mean combining the words too, which will create another challenge. So I try to focus mainly on separate ideas rather than the combined word. Here's what I made:

Fig 3.1 Cookie Bounce Sketch

My strongest idea is to create the word "cookie" out of different types of cookies. I also attached the cookies I'm aiming for, since I don't really know the specific name for each of them.

Bounce is a verb, and it requires a motion to make it obvious that they're bouncing. I don't have many ideas for Bounce so that was the best idea I came up with.

I also tried combining them all together. It kinda works(?) but I'm not sure if the final look would be good. Besides, even making them would be a challenge itself.

I consulted with friends and the teacher. They said they like the separate one better and that I could do some revisions to Bounce, to make the ball not too small.

Digitalisation
Fig 3.2 Cookie Bounce Digitalisation 1

This is my first attempt at making the digitalization phase of Cookie Bounce. I wasn't sure if this is all I can do for Bounce, but I couldn't think of anything better. At least it looks like a balloon which could pretty much bounce around. Cookie, on the other hand, looks really pretty and a bit delicious too.

I asked Ms Anis on what she thought. She told me that it would be great if I make the cookie sizes vary, and maybe even put some cookie crumbs since the cookie was bitten. She also told me it's unnecessary to have the motion lines. 

Here's what it looks like after another revision:

Fig 3.3 Cookie Bounce Digitalisation 2




Final Look
Fig 3.4 Cookie Bounce Final Look



Experience
I might have been in a bit of an art block when I did exercise 1. I feel like I could put so much more and make a better final look for my tiny character, though I forgive myself because it was also one of my first times utilizing tools from Adobe Illustrator, and I had a bit of a struggle doing this and that. Doing Cookie Bounce sketch is a bit easier, but much harder in execution. It was mostly because of the 3D effect. It requires so much force from my laptop that I was a bit worried about its well-being. Thankfully it didn't crash or anything.

Observations
I realized a lot of my friends did incredible work with their characters. Mine feels like it lacks a lot of things. But since I created that tiny creature years before I had this exercise work, I still love it the same. My friends made such different creatures but each and every one of them are so beautifully created, it's really an interesting thing to see.

Findings
In this task, I found out several uses of the tools of Adobe Illustrator and how to use them properly. I also found a lot of new techniques I learnt over time and from trial and error. I found Illustrator to be a useful platform to do this kind of thing. The Vector and the 3D material are particularly useful to be used in this kind of work.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Typography - Task 3: Type Exploration and Application

Video and Sound Production - Exercises & Project 1

Information Design - Exercises