Illustration and Visual Narrative - Project 2: MyTIGER Competition

12/05/2023 -  01/06/2023 / Week 6 - Week 9
Vanessa Kei Kurniadi (0360525)
Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
Project 2: MyTIGER Competition



LECTURES

WEEK 6
In the sixth week, we were given a chance to work on our topic research. The teachers also checked our sketches and give some feedback.

WEEK 7
Friday's class on the 19th of May was cancelled. Class replacements are to be announced.

WEEK 8
There are no classes during ILW. We continued our progress with the MyTIGER competition poster.



PROJECT 2: MyTIGER Competition

In this task, we have to illustrate a poster and submit our work to Maybank Foundation MyTIGER Values Art Competition 2023. We have to create a poster using Adobe Illustrator that interprets the project aims through Maybank TIGER's core values. 

Research
I tried to do some research on what each UNSD Goal is all about. It's definitely not the best and most thorough research, but all I'm trying to do is to get the general idea on what the main goal is. I try to shortened all those long paragraphs and place them on a powerpoint.

fig 1.1 Topic Research

Reference
It is important to see what kind of work would the juries prefer, so I looked through past works and illustrations on the internet and made a little compilation:

fig 1.2 Artwork references

Since this project consists of a tiger, I have to first look for a nice pose to go with. Drawing animals is not something in my field of expertise, so I would need a specific pose. I looked through Google and found this.

fig 1.3 Tiger pose reference


Sketching
I copied and pasted the tiger picture to my clip studio paint app. CSP are one of the platforms I feel most comfortable drawing with. I then developed my ideas there. Honestly speaking, I have only the roughest idea on what I wanted to do, so I just tried to do some rough sketching and work my way up from there.

After so many tries, here's what I came up with:

fig 2.1 Poster sketch


Details: 

My art is mainly focused on:
Goal 4: Social Education
Goal 6: Clean water and sanitation
Goal 7: Affordable and Clean Energy (Focused on no pollution)
Goal 15: life on land

TIGER AND BUTTERFLIES
-Relationship building
-Education (The curious look of the tiger towards the butterfly symbolizes education, where we try to learn about new things)
-Life on land

BERRIES IN THE BUSHES
-No Poverty
-Zero hunger
-Life on land
-Clean energy (no pollution)

CLEAN RIVER WATER
-Clean energy (no water pollution)
-Good health and well-being (as water is essential)
-Clean water and sanitation

BAMBOOS
-Represents the wish and hope of strong and fast growth of economic growth in Malaysia

FISH AND WATER LILY
-Life below water
-Clean water and sanitation


Making Final Version in Illustrator
I'm kinda satisfied with it, so I proceeded to work on it in Adobe Illustrator. I decide to mainly use the pen tool and pencil tool, since I think it's the best tool to work on illustrations like this.

But since this is my first time doing such a complicated illustration, I had so many difficulties, starting with sorting out the layers, managing the groups of details, and the colouring. I finally managed to finish it after so many trials and errors.

Here's how it turns out:

fig 2.2 Finished work of myTIGER poster


..Honestly, it's not what I imagined, but not the worst either. I had so many difficulties trying to figure out this and that and lost a lot of time trying to do things slowly. I had no time for shading, but I'm at least happy I managed to finish it, though there's so many things I can do if I did this in other platforms I'm familiar at.

Final Look

fig 3.1 MyTIGER Poster Final Look

fig 3.2 MyTIGER Poster Outline View





REFLECTION
Experience
Doing an illustration in Adobe Illustration is one hell of a ride. Everything is just much easier in Photoshop or Clip Studio Paint, but in this task I have to tolerate all unfamiliarity and difficulties of the tools here. But at the same time I was really enjoying the part where I'm making the stripes of the tiger. It feels a bit relaxing and therapeutic.

Observation
I saw the tools needed to work on this illustration, and I must say they are not the best. The fill tool is really nice to fill the lines to the fullest, but at the same time, the layer system also works against my will. I spent so much time to make sure things appear how I want them to be, wasting so much of my time.

Findings
I found that Adobe Illustrator is best used for graphic design and not illustrator, unlike it's name. But some tools are also good in their own way. For example, pencil tool is a good thing to use to fix some lines, and copying things are so easy with the crtl+alt button.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Typography - Task 3: Type Exploration and Application

Video and Sound Production - Exercises & Project 1

Information Design - Exercises