Illustration and Visual Narrative - Project 3: Digital Triptych

02/06/2023 - 30/06/2023 / Week 9 - Week 13
Vanessa Kei Kurniadi (0360525)
Bachelor of Design in Creative Media
Project 3: Digital Triptych



LECTURES

WEEK 9
During this week, we learned about "Chiaroscuro". Chiaroscuro is all about lighting and shadow, creating visual depth, atmosphere and mood, symbolism and metaphor, visual hierarchy and focus, contrast, and conflict. We did a chiaroscuro exercise using the images from this link: https://goo.gl/photos/jnGdr8EvyaGqZvJg7



WEEK 10
In Week 10, we learned about pattern creation by using the pattern maker in the Object tab. While there are preset patterns available in Adobe Illustrator, creating our own patterns gives us more options. We can use the brush tool to draw strokes, and the blob brush tool to draw the fill. 



WEEK 11
Continuing from Week 10's pattern construction, we learned to use the "Draw Inside" function, where the drawn shape is automatically clipped inside the selected shape. We also learned to use the puppet tool to move our drawn objects, with the pattern inside. We also had to submit the progress of Project 3: Digital Triptych. I was torn between two stories, so I did research for both.



WEEK 12
Consultation session on our digital triptych progress with Mr Hafiz.



WEEK 13
Public Holiday. Watched a provided recording of our final project briefing on the one-page animated visual comic.



PROJECT 3: DIGITAL TRIPTYCH

In Project 3, we have to choose a story from this website: https://poestories.com/stories.php, which are short stories from Edgar Allen Poe. We have to break down the narrative into a 3-act structure and create 3 panels digital triptych illustrating each of the acts. 

After looking through the summary, I decided to use the story "Eleonora". It's a unique love story and I wanna try making the triptych for it.

Sketching
Firstly I try to make a rough sketch on Clip Studio Paint as the base.

fig 1.1 sketch



Making the Vector Illustration

Afterwards I moved the sketch into Adobe Illustrator and used the pencil tool to trace them and make the necessary details. It wasn't that hard at first, but it still took ages. Then the coloring makes another problem. I have to make separate pieces for the hair and clothes and even the hands, since the color keeps on blocking each other.

The tree was a huge problem for me. I can't seem to make the right shading for it, and it annoys the hell out of me, so I finally decided to just make whatever I can and went to the next part. 

The good thing is the pose of the guy is not much different in each part. I saved a lot of time by copying and pasting it to another act and working my way from there.

fig 1.2 Triptych Progress 1

After every flat colour is done, I went to Freepik and downloaded some decorative assets. I added some flowers to the tree and field in Act 1, and some flowers to the wedding pillars and the bride.

fig 1.3 Triptych final version



Final Look

fig 2.1 Triptych Final Look
fig 2.2 Triptych Outline View



REFLECTION

Experience
It took me extremely long to work on this one. The pencil tool is easy to fix but since the smoothing feature can't go between 0% and 25%, either my line is amazingly messy or it's too smooth to make the strokes I want. I ended up using the 0% and using the smooth tool afterwards, making the progress very slow. Since the fill tool works against my will, I looked it up online and it seems even though the pen tool makes me work twice for the lines, It's the most effective way of doing it.

Observation
I noticed a huge flaw of Illustrator is the smoothing feature being set to a certain percentage. I wish I could put it in 10% or so soothing, but I can't do it. The strokes are either smoothing too much of my strokes or so rough it catches the slightest trembling of my hand movement.

Findings
I still find Illustrator a bit difficult to work with, especially for Illustrator. But being able to import assets from Freepik helps a lot to add some details to the illustrator, though I don't know how to rasterize it to a simpler image, so the whole field of flowers almost crashes my Illustrator.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Typography - Task 3: Type Exploration and Application

Video and Sound Production - Exercises & Project 1

Information Design - Exercises