3D Modeling - Exercises

28.8.2023 - 18.9.2023 (Week 1 - Week 4)
Vanessa Kei Kurniadi / 0360525
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
3D Modeling - Exercises



LECTURES

Week 1
In the first week, Mr Kamal gave us an introduction about him and about the module. He started by showing past works and what we are encouraged and not encouraged to do with the tasks.

Afterwards, we started by getting to know how to navigate through Blender.

Week 2
In the second week, we were taught how to make simple objects by using primitive shapes such as spheres, cylinders, cones, cubes, etc. Mr Kamal also taught us how to do the rendering and the lighting techniques. We were also given the task to make a primitive model in Blender due next week.

Week 3
In the third week, Mr Kamal gave us more in-depth techniques we can do to cylinder shapes. We learnt about the edit mode, vertex, edges, and faces. We were told about inset, lop cut, etc., to further modify the shapes of cylinders.

Week 4
In the fourth week, we were taught how we do box modelling on a blender. Mr Kamal gave us some tutorials on bridge, symmetry, combine, etc. We made a box car during our practical session, and we will need to make something different for our exercise submission.

Week 5
In the fifth week, we were taught about the Boolean tool. We were also taught about the slice tool to help maintain the original shape when we use the smooth tool on them. Our next task was the karambit, and we were given the chance to work on it in class with the help of Mr Kamal, so when class ended we just needed to figure out how to do the rest of them,

Week 6
In the sixth week, we were taught about rendering. Mr Kamal gave us an explanation of what a good rendering engine is, what the safe location for the objects to be placed on camera, etc. We were also experimenting on textures and new effects such as glow, lights, and reflections. On that note, Mr Kamal also gave us a new assignment which is our new project. We need to make hard surface modelling, be it robots, machines, weapons, or vehicles. We were given 2 weeks to work on the project.

Week 7
In the 7th week, we didn't get any additional assignments. Mr Kamal just taught us more about rendering with images and uv wrap.



INSTRUCTION



Exercise 1: Primitive Modeling (Week 2-3)
For the first exercise, we were instructed to try to make a simple object using primitive shapes. I looked through some references on the internet and decided that I would make a simple single bed.

I started by making the base of the bed using a cube shape. I used the bevel modifier to smoothen out the edges and then duplicated it to make the bed and scaled it down a bit.

fig 1.1 the bed base

Then I continued by making the footing and the boards on the front and back of the bed. I used cubes to make the boards and cylinders for the footing. I also added another cylinder to make a round shape on the bedboard to decorate it.


fig 1.2 The board and footing of the bed

I also added cones on the bottom of the footing, so in real shape it'll help so the board won't be scraped against the floor. I also put some balls on top of the cylinder to decorate the bed even more.


fig 1.3 Balls and cones for the bed

Last but not least I added a pillow as an add-on on the bed so it will look more like a proper bed. For this, I used another cube and flattened it a bit so the rough shape looked like the size of the pillow. I then used the bevel modifier but this time on the vertices. It's not the most cosy-looking pillow one can make, but at least it resembles it.

I found a way to make a proper pillow from the internet, using cloth material and using pressure, collision, etc. and it turned out really nice but I'm not sure if it's allowed in the current task, so I tried to do it in my own way.


fig 1.4 Adding pillow on the bed

Lighting
It took me hours to work out how to do the lighting. No matter what I do the lighting won't work on the object. I tried so many things on the internet and it still wouldn't work. 

Only until I copied and pasted the whole object on the new file, did it finally work. It might be a bug or something I wasn't aware of, but I'm so happy I finally managed to do it. 

However, I also realized that the lighting effect only works on the Eevee render engine. As soon as I changed it into the Workbench render engine, the lighting didn't work, but since we are instructed to use Workbench render engine,  I had to choose the given lighting effects.

Edit: After consulting with Mr Kamal, apparently I was tweaking the wrong thing. By clicking the arrow icon next to the render mode, you can see the shadow option and check it so the shadow will appear.


Fig 1.5 Lighting effect on different render engines (left: Eeve, right: Workbench)

Final Look

fig 1.6 Primitive Modeling Exercise Solid

fig 1.6 Primitive Modeling Exercise Solid + Wireframe



Exercise 2: Cylindrical Modeling

In this task, we were instructed to make a cylinder model and do some composition with them. Mr Kamal gave us a blueprint of a bottle to try out. We also need to adjust and create a nice composition with the several shapes that we have made.

First off, I tried to work on the bottle blueprint we were given. We clicked the Y axis and imported the image so the image stands perfectly straight on the axis. Then we can turn down the opacity so it can be seen from both sides as guides.

fig 2.1 Bottle blueprint as a guide

Next, I started by making the basic shape first. I created a cylinder and adjusted the scale according to the blueprint. Next, I used inset (I) and extrude (E)  to further make the bases, whether they increase or decrease in diameter.

For the edges that don't need more shapes, I can smoothen the edges a bit by using the bevel tool (ctrl B). For the rest of them, on every shape change, I should use a loop cut above and under it to maintain the shape. For the little curves on the bottle body, I created loop cuts on every curve and used scale to push them inwards. I then gave additional loop cuts to maintain the shapes just like the other edges.

When the shape was done, I switched to object mode and pressed CTRL 3 to smoothen the shape. The additional loop cuts above and under the cuts help to hold the desired shape of the model. When it looked satisfactory, I gave it a colour. Here's how it turned out.

fig 2.2 Finished shape of the bottle.

I was gonna keep duplicating the bottle to make the whole composition, but I figured it wouldn't affect nicely on my mark. So I tried to create more shapes using the cylinder shape. I made 2 more shapes using the same techniques, but this time straight from my memory, without any blueprint. For the brown bottle/vase (I don't know what I should call it), I managed (somehow) to delete the face and make it hollow inside.


fig 2.3 Additional Shapes that I made

I felt like it was too stiff, so in the end, I decided to try to add 1 more of the green bottle but knocked it down on the base of the axes. To help with the view, I also added some planes as backgrounds and coloured them with dark colours so they'll stand out more.

fig 2.4 Final composition

Final Look

fig 2.5 Final Composition Solid Wireframe


fig 2.6 Final Composition Solid non-Wireframe




Exercise 3 - Box Modeling

This week we were taught some new techniques: bridge, symmetry, combine, etc. Our exercise in class was to do a simple box car to practice our new methods. But our exercise submission for next week requires us to create a different box object.

So after some thinking, I decided to create a Polaroid camera for my work.

fig 3.1 Polaroid Camera

I made the shape from a cube and used a loop cut to make several new lines within the cube. I then used extruded and moved some edges and faces to create the overall shape of the camera. I always try to use the magnet and merge vertices that are in the same area, so the overall shape will look neater and easier to edit.

fig 3.2 I made a lot of lines to help me edit the cube into the desired shape.

Afterwards, I used the same methods to create the rest of the details of the camera. I used some cylinders and spheres to create the lenses and buttons and used inset and extrude back and forth to create the small details.

Lastly, I added some colours, and I've recently learned how to give new colours to certain parts of an object by using the assigned tool.

fig 3.3 Camera details.

Final Look

fig 3.4 Final look without wireframe

fig 3.5 Final look with wireframe




Exercise 4
In this task, we were told to recreate a 3D model of the karambit image given by Mr Kamal. We need to remember that we need to use the slice tool to help maintain the desired shape when the object is smoothened out.

The first thing we did was make the blade part aligned on an axis so we can mirror it. We then used a cube and shaped it into the grabbing part of the krambit, and a cylinder with another cylinder for the hole with the boolean tool, to make the part where you spin it around.

fig 4,1 The first half of the karambit

After that, We joined the hole and the gripping area by making a bridge edge on it. When we were done, we started on the blade part, but then I had to do it at home since class had ended.

I started by making the first quarter part of the blade, which is the right top side of the blade. I planned to mirror the left side, and mirror both of them again to create the bottom side of the blade.

fig 4.2 making the blade

When the quarter part of the blade is done, I finally mirrored them to make the full blade. However I had to tweak the vertices here and there because they are not joined. Maybe the blade isn't perfectly in the axis or something, but I managed to fix them just fine.

Here is how it looks after coloring:

fig 4.3 Completed shape

I personally like how it looks without the smooth tool, but since I might need to do it, I smooth it to level 1, making the overshape okay, but there's a minor dent in the grip part. I tried to tweak them but some of them just won't disappear so I just let them be.


Final Look
fig 4.4 final look with wireframe

fig 4.5 final look without wireframe



REFLECTION

Experience
The exercises these past 7 weeks have helped me a lot in getting to know about the tools and techniques in Blender, from the basics to more complicated tasks. Mr Kamal has been really patient and kind in teaching and assisting us in our project. He was really patient and kind when I asked him about my problems and difficulties, which boosted my motivation and initiative to learn more about the platform.

Observations
I noticed that my peers did great work in their exercises, some even probably have much further expertise in Blender than I do. But I can also observe what they made and Mr Kamal's feedback of it, so I can note it for future works.

Findings
I found Blender to be difficult when I first jumped into the platform, It has so many tools that I can use which can make the practical session a bit difficult, but when I have someone who can tell me how to do things and where to find it, I find the platform surprisingly meticulous on the amount of features it gives to make the shape modifying much easier. It just takes a bit of practice and maybe learning from other tutorial videos, and with some time I'll get the hang of it pretty well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Typography - Task 3: Type Exploration and Application

Video and Sound Production - Exercises & Project 1

Information Design - Exercises