3D Modeling - Character Modeling

13.11.2023 - 27.11.2023 (Week 12 - Week 14)
Vanessa Kei Kurniadi / 0360525
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
3D Modeling - Character Modeling




INSTRUCTION

In this task, we were instructed to make a character model based on what we've learned this semester. We can take the pose blueprints/character models sheet from the internet and use it to create our own modelling.

Mr Kamal noted that we shouldn't make characters that are too simple for this task if we want to get a good mark. He suggested that we pick something that would be a bit challenging for our skills. So I try to look for a character that won't be too easy but isn't too difficult for me to make. After some thinking I decided to make the model of Judy Hopps from Zootopia.

fig 1.1 Judy Hopps from Zootopia


So first off, I tried to look for a good blueprint that I could use to work with, and I found this one.

fig 1.2 Character model from Google

I put the images as a reference in the background and started by making the torso of the character. I used the level 1 smoothened cube as the base and worked my way from there.

fig 1.3 Making the torso

After I'm done with the torso I start to make the limbs and head by using the same methods with cubes. I actually spent quite a long time making the details of the shape and making sure the smoothened shape wouldn't be washed out. I spent a long time tweaking vertices so they won't make odd dents in the smoothed version, and used the proportional editing feature to make some curves on some parts like the ears.

I planned to make the gloves as an extension of the hand's shape, but the shape always comes out really bad, so I just made the hand, and created the gloves as a separate object, and then put it around the hands.

I don't actually use the quad view mode but since this task requires me to look at different angles to make sure the shape is correct I'm really grateful Blender has this feature. I just wish I could also use the quad view to see the opposite sides.

I was sceptical about my decision to make only half the body so I could mirror it later, but after seeing how many tweaks I had to make in the face alone I felt grateful that I did.

fig 1.4 Making the limbs

After I was done with the overall shape of the body, I started making the clothes for the character. I decided that since the blue long-sleeve shirt is body-tight, I could use the shirt color directly in the skin of the character without making a separate layer. I just tweaked some parts in the neck to create the collar of the shirt. It looks like real clothes unless you zoom really close to the neck area.

As for the best, I thought it would be easier to create a new object and then put it on the body instead of extending some shapes from the body. I also used the mirror technique for the vest, but it also gave me some difficulty to make sure weird dents weren't visible on them when smoothened out. The pants are really easy though, I just created some new loop cuts and pulled it outward for a bit and pulled it up a bit to create volumes.

fig 1.5 Making the clothes

The next step is making the eyes and brows for the face. I decided I won't stick a flat-eye shape into the bunny. Instead, I created a round shape and did some (a lot actually) tweaking until it looked nice and a bit close to the reference. Looking at the eyes for so long actually made me a bit creeped out by my own work lol. But I'm glad all those hours of tweaking the face shape actually resulted in a nice-looking result.

I also made the eyebrow, but it's quite simple. I just make the basic shape with cubes, then when the jaggy rough shape is done, smooth it out and tweak the parts that need some changes and you're done!

fig 1.6 Making the eyes and eyebrows


Last but not least is the belt. I also made a separate object and then combined it with the little bags around them. And when I'm done I drag them all and modify them according to the shape of the body.

fig 1.7 making the belt (apparently when I made the screenshot it bugged a bit)

Here is what it looks like afterwards:

fig 1.8 Full version


This version is actually my submission at first. But after looking at it for a while, I feel like to make it truly like Judy Hopps, I should add some eyelashes to the model and make it more "girly"

Just like the eyebrow, I made the eyelashes from cubes that got deformed into weirdly shaped triangles, but if it works, it works :D

fig 1.9 making the eyelashes

Final Look

fig 2.1 Judy Hopps Final look without wireframe

fig 2.2 Judy Hopps Final Look with wireframe



REFLECTION

Experience
Making the model of Judy Hopps has been a fun yet challenging experience. I feel really satisfied whenever the jagged rough model turns into the shape that I want. There were some difficulties along the way, where the smoothed shape and colour turned out to be a mess. But I was hell-bent on making sure it at least resembled a bit of how I wanted it to look, so I spent hours and hours tweaking vertices here and there and made sure the smoothed version was how it should be.

Observation
I didn't see others' work on this task, so I can't really say anything about it.

Findings
I found out that my work was displayed on the class projector but I was too focused on my screen to notice. But a friend told me that she and her friends are amazed by my work. I felt like my work is simple and still lacking some things, but I felt really proud after hearing that and I am really grateful for her kind words.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Typography - Task 3: Type Exploration and Application

Video and Sound Production - Exercises & Project 1

Information Design - Exercises